- Awareness of most key features of the Direct Express®debitcard has remained consistent since 2016.
- Awareness that the card can be used for online shopping and purchases continues to increase year-over-year.
- ATM withdrawals and making purchases remain the most common way to use the card.
- Almost half of the cardholders also say they use their card to pay bills online or by phone.
PayPerks and the Mobile App
- One-third of cardholders are aware of PayPerks integrated financial capability program.
- Half of all cardholders are interested in receiving balance alerts on a smartphone.
- Mobile app users, a sub-category of cardholders, are significantly more interested in receiving balance alerts via cellphone.
- Over 80% of cardholders have a working cell phone and 60% have smartphones, which continues to trend up.
- Nearly all mobile app users are very satisfied with the app, with seven in ten being verysatisfied.
- Most say that the most useful feature of the app is the ability for users to check their balances.
The survey also helps Direct Express®to better understand the people it serves by collecting demographic and behavioral data. This year, the survey found:
- Two-thirds of cardholders are “unbanked,” meaning they do not have a bank account.
- For the vast majority of this unbanked population, their Direct Express® debit card is the sole means by which they receive funds and pay for basic living needs.
- The Direct Express® debit card is often the unbanked cardholder’s first network branded payments card and an introduction to the financial mainstream.
This demographic information guides the development of resources such as PayPerks®learning modules that help cardholders better understand how the card can be used and the importance of protecting the card from theft and misuse. For many who have not had a bank account or a prepaid debit card in the past, this kind of education and guidance can be critical.
The 2018 Direct Express®cardholder satisfaction survey has been conducted and responses are being analyzed. Whether through insights that lead to a new PayPerks®module or new card functionality, the annual survey is vital to the development of the program. Even though the satisfaction rate remains a high 94%, the Fiscal Service and the Direct Express®program continue to identify potential improvements. These improvements must balance functionality and access, with simplicity and security, to best serve the 4.5 million cardholders who rely on Direct Express®to manage their Federal benefit payments.
SOURCE: Direct Express